Only Rihanna matters, TBH.
This week, celebrities were all kinds of things, including — but not limited to — messy, triumphant, terrible, brilliant, and unnecessary. Read on to see for yourself who embodied which!
OWN / Oprah Prime
1. The Bad Gal herself is pregnant! Rihanna positively broke the internet with her photo shoot announcement that she's expecting with boyfriend A$AP Rocky. No, freezing temperatures did not stop her from serving looks with a baby bump-revealing outfit. And no, we are never, ever getting that album.
Taylor Hill / WireImage / Getty Images
2. Nick Cannon confirmed that he's expecting his eighth child with model Bre Tiesi after photos surfaced of the couple's baby shower. The news comes two months after his and Alyssa Scott's Zen died of brain cancer. In a heartfelt Instagram statement, Alyssa acknowledged that she is "at peace" and looks at "everyone's predicament with loving eyes."
Amanda Edwards / Getty Images, Jerritt Clark / Getty Images for Abyss By Abby
He later apologized for how he handled the announcement.
3. Bridgerton and Derry Girls star Nicola Coughlan released a pleading statement with fans asking them not to share their opinions on her body with her, after revealing she would receive direct messages daily. "I understand I'm on TV and that people will have things to think and say, but I beg you not to send them to me directly ❤️," she wrote on Instagram.
David M. Benett / Dave Benett / Getty Images for byTiMo, ©Netflix/Courtesy Everett Collection
4. Thandiwe Newton correctly slammed Sean Penn after he doubled down on eyebrow-raising, backward comments on masculinity (including that men have been "feminized" in American popular culture). Among what she said? That he's a "jibbering fool" spouting "nonsense" and "used to be sexy" but is now simply "just tragic."
5. Bye-bye Brady! After much speculation and confusion, NFL quarterback Tom Brady officially announced his retirement. "I have loved my NFL career, and now it is time to focus my time and energy on other things that require my attention," he wrote in an Instagram post. With 10 Super Bowl appearances and seven championships, it's safe to say he's earned his rest.
Mike Ehrmann / Getty Images
6. Killing Eve — the British thriller series starring Sandra Oh and Jodie Comer — is soon-to-be back on our TV screens. And while the wait for its fourth and final season is positively (hehe) killing us (sorry, don't kill me, haha, I'll stop, seriously), a fabulous trailer dropped just in time to tide us over.
Laura Radford / BBC America
You can catch the Season 4 premiere on BBC America and AMC+ Feb. 27.
7. We all know that Bennifer (Jennifer Lopez + Ben Affleck) is now back and better than ever, but what you might not know is that the power couple is aiming to be less "open" about their relationship. Ben previously stated that the intense media focus on their romance "was about 50%" responsible for their split.
Arturo Holmes / Getty Images
9. Travis Scott and entertainment company Live Nation are now facing one giant lawsuit from those affected by the Astroworld tragedy, where 10 people were killed. A court action combined almost 400 individual cases representing nearly 2,800 people for a "more efficient pretrial" process.
Erika Goldring / WireImage / Getty Images
10. Whoopi Goldberg apologized after facing backlash for saying the Holocaust was not "about race," but rather "man's inhumanity to man." Taking to Twitter, she acknowledged the "hurt" she caused, writing, "I should have said it is about both." She was suspended from The View — where she made her comments — for two weeks shortly thereafter.
Jenny Anderson / ABC via Getty Images
11. Dakota Johnson's web of movies looks to be expanding. The actor is in talks to star as the titular character in Madame Web, a Sony spinoff of the Marvel character introduced first in the '80s The Amazing Spider-Man comics. But not all MCU fans are pleased, given that the character is traditionally depicted as an old woman who is blind and disabled.
Tristan Fewings / Getty Images for Global Citizen
Some are theorizing that Dakota will play the second iteration of Madame Web, a younger Spider-Woman who is not blind.
12. It's back to Euphoria high for characters like Rue (Zendaya) and Jules (Hunter Schafer) — and probably a good thing too since no one seems to ever be in class (Alexa Demie's Maddy wouldn't be caught dead with a backpack)! In all seriousness, the hit HBO show is going to return with a third season after it doubled its viewers from Season 1.
Speaking of some happy renewal news, Scream 6 (6cream, if you will?) is officially a go. It's gonna be...killer (please clap).
13. Kim Kardashian and Ye are having a public spat about how to raise their children, and we are all being forced to listen in. After he accused the reality star of using their children to "antagonize" him (via their eldest daughter North's presence on TikTok), Kim slammed the rapper over his "obsession" to "control and manipulate" the narrative.
Mark Sagliocco / WireImage / Getty Images
And now, for some reason or other, Candace Owens has joined the chat.
14. Tommy Dorfman and her husband, Peter Zurkuhlen, have reportedly filed for divorce after a decade together. Since tying the knot in 2016, Tommy publicly revealed she is a trans woman and that her relationship has evolved as a result of her transition. "We've had incredible conversations to redefine our relationship as friends," she said in July.
Taylor Hill / FilmMagic / Getty Images
15. Drew Barrymore has been a Tom Holland stan, and we've just humbly followed in her footsteps. In a sweet Instagram throwback, Drew revealed she first met the Spider-Man star back in 2011. She recalled how "captivated" she felt by his "extraordinary talent" following his debut performance in The Impossible.
16. It's Olympic szn! The games officially kicked off with Friday's opening ceremony. From Shaun White's tour of the athletes' village rooms to an interview with Jamaica's first alpine skier, Benjamin Alexander, things are a-happening and cultures are a-shifting. You can follow along with BuzzFeed's coverage here.
Vcg / VCG via Getty Images
17. After a literal eternity, Netflix has finally revealed a first look at the highly anticipated sequel to Knives Out. We get just a glimpse of the film in the streamer's 2022 movie preview. Shockingly, there are NO knives.
18. Actor Brian Austin Green and Dancing With the Stars pro Sharna Burgess are expecting their first child together. The couple shared the news via a beach photo shoot in Hawaii, as one does. Brian and Sharna began dating in October 2020, following the former's divorce from Megan Fox. Congrats to them!
Eric Mccandless / ABC via Getty Images
19. New Girl star Zooey Deschanel confirmed what fans already knew to be true — she and Jake Johnson were indeed told they had "too much" chemistry. "I remember them saying that," she said on the rewatch podcast Welcome to Our Show. "They were like...'We have to play this out over time, and we don't want to put you guys in the same storylines together.'"
Ray Mickshaw / ©Fox / Courtesy: Everett Collection
Your fave ship could never!
20. In a very dystopian-adjacent decision, The Masked Singer decided to feature Rudy Giuliani (yes, you read that correctly) as one of its guests. Apparently, the reveal — which occurred during the taping of the fever dream's (er, sorry, "series'") seventh season — caused judges Ken Jeong and Robin Thicke to walk off set in protest.
Fox / FOX Image Collection via Getty Images
Later, People reported that Ken "stormed out" after feeling "disrespected," and that Robin left to check in on him (rather than to join in on the protest).
22. Rosamund Pike, most known for her iconic role in Gone Girl, is set to star in a pandemic movie that seems keenly tailor-made for her. The film — which The Platform director Galder Gaztelu-Urrutia will helm — is about the uber-rich succumbing to a deadly virus, in descending order of wealth. Talk about capital punishment!
Dominique Charriau / WireImage / Getty Images
C'mon, that was funny as hell.
23. In a rare mention of his personal life, James McAvoy revealed he secretly married his girlfriend of several years, Lisa Liberati. The two met on the set of Split, where Lisa worked as director M. Night Shyamalan's personal assistant. The actor didn't offer additional comments for "fear of creating tabloid fodder."
Kate Green / Getty Images for BFC
24. Finally, after being called out for years for appropriating AAVE, Awkwafina announced she is leaving Twitter for her mental health. In a lengthy statement posted to the platform, she addressed the backlash and said she will "always listen and work tirelessly to understand the history and context of AAVE."
Emma Mcintyre / Getty Images for HFA
However, many felt that the statement was inadequate, as it did not include any admission of wrongdoing or an apology.
Keep up with the latest daily buzz with the BuzzFeed Daily newsletter!