Like...are we gonna talk about these?
Maybe I just have a low threshold for secondhand embarrassment, but there are certain things in teen shows and movies that I just think are so weird and cringe — and no one seems to talk about them.
Here are just a smattering of things that bother me in teen shows and films:
1. On One Tree Hill, when Julian wrote a TV show about his wife and her friends when they were in high school, and then inserted himself in as a character.
THIS IS SO WEIRD TO ME. Especially because Julian really isn't friends with the other characters, and he dated Peyton — and now he's just inserting himself into their adolescence?? Very odd and cringe.
2. In Twilight, when all the adoptive siblings were dating each other:
Like, OK, Jessica acknowledges that this is weird once, but that's kind of the end of it. I feel like someone should've checked in on these kids. Carlisle is clearly encouraging some weird incest household. Like, do people think the kids grew up together??
3. On Buffy the Vampire Slayer, when Spike literally created a robot Buffy to have sex with:
This is so creepy and weird, and it was totally glossed over. It also went on for SO LONG.
4. On Glee, when Will cast himself in Rocky Horror Picture Show:
Not only is Will a teacher, making it super weird that he'd star in the play, but he casts himself as the love interest of a character played by a student. Like, he full on was supposed to be performing "Touch-A-Touch-A-Touch Me" with Rachel. Completely innapropriate.
5. And on Riverdale, when Betty's mom performed in Carrie:
They couldn't find another student to play the mom?? That's like, the second starring role. It was so odd that they cast a parent, let alone that she actually wanted to do it.
6. In 13 Going on 30, when Jenna had a sleepover with a bunch of kids:
Sony Pictures Releasing
Did their parents not think it was super weird when their kids came home and were like, "Hey, this random 30-year-old in our building wants to host a bunch of kids for a sleepover"?? I just don't understand how this happened.
7. On Pretty Little Liars, when Ezra gave a whole goodbye speech to his class and was CLEARLY just talking to Aria:
I can't even watch this scene. He literally walks right up to Aria and gestures to her at one point. I guarantee everyone in the class knew at this point.
8. And just the fact that they got married...especially IN THEIR TOWN, in front of literally everyone:
I'm sorry, but how did Ezra not go to jail?? Everyone just watched while a girl married her teacher that she'd met while underage!!
9. On One Tree Hill, when Brooke, Haley, and Quinn randomly dressed up as superheroes to help a girl who was being bullied:
This poor girl. This was just so random. It's even more awkward because Haley was a teacher in that town... Like, imagine your old teacher showing up in a superhero costume when you're getting bullied. I feel like people would make fun of you more.
10. On Glee, when Finn kissed Emma (his former guidance counselor) and then Will challenged him to a Backstreet Boys/NSYNC dance-off (which they also physically fought during?):
If I were Emma, I would be so embarrassed at this that I would literally never speak to Will again. I feel like Will constantly forgot that he was their TEACHER, and a fully grown adult. I also love that after this, he's like...yeah I can't ever forgive you, so this was just for nothing. What was the point, Will???
11. In 10 Things I Hate About You, when Kat read her poem to the class and started crying:
Buena Vista Pictures
It's not as bad, but this feels kind of like the Aria/Ezra scene I mentioned. Like...don't do this in front of the whole class. Imagine you're minding your own business in English, and this happens.
12. On Pretty Little Liars, when Aria was implanted with Emily's eggs:
This was so wild. It just felt like such a bizarre plot to force Emily and Ali together. Like, was A an Emison stan??
13. In Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, when 22-year-old Scott was dating a high schooler:
This was so gross and creepy to me, and TBH, just unnecessary. I feel like the plot wouldn't have really changed if she just...wasn't in high school.
14. In Booksmart, when Miss Fine went into the TEENAGERS' party and flirted with Theo:
United Artists Releasing
I know they tried to make it OK by saying Theo was 20, but it's still creepy. Why did she even go in and drink with a bunch of her underage students in the first place?? So weird.
15. On The Vampire Diaries, when Stefan dated the carbon copy of his ex:
This is honestly very creepy, as is the fact that he didn't tell her, and she had to figure it out on her own.
16. And also when he literally stalked Elena for months after meeting her and then decided to go back to high school so he could be close to her:
Also creepy. Also, what self-respecting 100-and-something-year-old vampire would go back to high school??
17. In The Lizzie McGuire Movie, when Pablo dated Lizzie, a middle-schooler:
Lizzie has literally just graduated MIDDLE school, and she starts dating an international pop star who looks to be at least 20. I know they never say his age, but it's still really weird and kind of creepy to me.
18. On Riverdale, when Veronica insisted that she and Jughead kiss to basically get revenge on Archie and Betty for kissing:
This just felt wrong to watch, and Jughead using their ship names is very cringe. Also, the way they go about it is really awkward. Archie is clearly not happy, and it seems like Veronica is purposefully trying to make him uncomfortable. It also kind of seems like it was something she and Jughead planned earlier because they just really wanted to kiss. Plus, they wait until Betty is very clearly drunk to do it. It's all very sketchy.
19. In High School Musical, when Ryan and Sharpay had played opposite each other in musicals their whole lives, often playing love interests despite being siblings:
Like, did they have to kiss for plays and stuff? So gross.